Position: Travel Industry Business Development Manager
Job Location: This is a remote position and the individual can be based in the US or Canada (preferably in the northeast).
Located in Toronto Canada, Quark Expeditions is the world leader in polar adventure travel. Since 1991, Quark has been establishing a tradition of firsts in polar travel: as the first to transit the Northeast Passage with adventure travelers; the first to take travelers to the far side of Antarctica; and the first to circumnavigate the Antarctic continent with guests. Quark is recognized for its diverse fleet of passenger vessels and offers the widest variety of polar itineraries of any other adventure company. Quark Expeditions is a member of Travelopia, which is the world's largest collection of specialist travel brands. Each brand is individually operated, creating unique experiences that are centered around specific destinations, passions or interests.
Quark Expeditions is looking for a tenured, dynamic, travel industry professional, with experience working with consortiums such as Virtuoso and Signature, to lead profitable sales growth through the travel retail channels. This is a remote position and the individual can be based in the US or Canada (preferably in the northeast).
The position is responsible for managing the sales through the travel retail channels in select markets, including preferred consortium partners throughout North America. In conjunction with the Global Partnership Director, this position establishes the strategy and tactics to grow sales in the travel retail channel through market-share growth and profitable yield management.
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate a strong ability to build relationships and understand opportunities for future revenue growth in the indirect channels, including chains and consortiums. Our ideal candidate is comfortable with a significant amount of travel, approximately 50-60% of the time. This position also requires 5-7 years of experience in increasingly senior roles in Sales or Account Management, preferably within the travel industry and with travel consortiums such as Virtuoso and Signature.
- Leads the development of tactical and long-term strategic objectives specifically designed to grow sales in retail travel channel, in alignment with Quark’s 5-year strategic plan.
- Builds and maintains relationships with existing key retail travel partners, maximizing the value and growth potential through effective account management
- Liaise and contract with new potential consortia and maintain relationships with existing consortia
- Based on established strategies, and sourcing/research, cold calls travel agencies looking for opportunities to develop sales from existing and new accounts.
- Uses Softrip and SalesForce to analyze and monitor sales of key accounts, establish benchmarks, track sales trends and ROI, and uncovers untapped resources to create strategies specific to prospect productivity and potential.
- Identifies new revenue streams and marketable database opportunities in the travel retail partner channel, through presentations and pitches
- Establish and implement new business development and group acquisition strategies in retail travel markets and channels
- Participates in all aspects of drafting contracts and agreements, including business case formulation, financial analysis, and negotiations, as it relates to the retail travel channels
- Establish and implement communication plans for trade partners, including segmented messaging
- Collaborate with Marketing, Sales and Product to lead the deployment of regular trade communications including monthly newsletters, trade-specific tactical messaging, sales tools, USP’s, competitive differentiation
- Coordinate the development of cooperative marketing efforts with key accounts with the goal of increasing indirect sales
- Identify key agencies in Quark’s trade database and establish account plans
- Oversee the creation and deployment of partner training curriculum in alignment with brand guidelines
- Creates engaging, compelling and educational presentations to use onsite, at trade shows or via agent-focused webinars.
- Oversee the Partner Resource Centre and keep content and tools up to date
- Develops a strong understanding of competitor activity and the potential current and future implications on Quark’s business.
- Participates in relevant events maximizing Quark’s product exposure.
- Meets or exceeds sales targets by looking of opportunities to develop sales from existing and new accounts.
- Strong collaboration with other departments (finance, marketing and operations) ensuring expectations are aligned and customer needs are met.
- Shares energy, enthusiasm, insight, skill and experience with everyone.
- 5-7 years of experience in increasingly senior roles in sales and account management.
- 3-5 years of experience working with travel consortiums such as Virtuoso and Signature
- Personal passion around adventure travel is critical.
- Finely-tuned business, strategic and commercial acumen including proven experience in business plan and contract development.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills, including the ability to effectively present and pitch ideas in a business setting, engage stakeholders, build consensus and compellingly communicate Quark’s value proposition.
- Strong negotiation skills in multi-cultural settings.
- Ability to author complex contracts and sales agreements.
- Can clearly demonstrate the ability to understand the needs of passengers and positively make recommendation to enhance customer experience.
- Grounded, mature self-starter with passion for exceeding goals and objectives.
- Ability to function within a fast-paced, entrepreneurial culture.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to work independently, set and achieve goals, and demonstrate tenacity self-discipline to work independently, prioritize day-to-day activities and travel while adjusting priorities without losing effectiveness.
- Requires computer skills including hands on experience with email, browsers, word processing, spreadsheet, basic database knowledge and sales presentation tools.
To apply online, please visit: http://smrtr.io/bSMPBA