Account Manager, Media Relations
ABOUT BANNIKIN TRAVEL AND TOURISM LTD.
Bannikin is a Toronto-based niche travel and tourism consultancy specializing in enhancing the business of small operators, destinations and hotel properties. Our clients excel at delivering top-notch, unique travel experiences but often have limited resources to grow their business. Bannikin identifies and executes solutions relating to Marketing and Media Relations, Travel Trade Representation and Responsible Tourism Development. In short – we provide to a smaller tourism operation what large operators and established destinations have in abundance: highly skilled support.
Bannikin is built on a love for travel, and the great respect of small entrepreneurs who provide the utmost travel experiences in the wildest parts of the planet. In a worn-out, dog-eared copy of the Newfoundland dictionary somewhere, you would discover that Bannikin means simply “small tin cup.” But to us it represents experiencing travel in a real way, with a local perspective.
Coming from all levels of the industry, we know what needs to come together to turn a travel company into the travel company, and a place into a destination.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We're on the lookout for an experienced, ambitious and team-oriented Account Manager to join our fast-paced, fun and dynamic team of 6! As our 7th team member, you’ll be working closely with our Media and Marketing team to design and implement winning PR strategies and campaigns for our roster of niche travel and tourism clients. The position requires creativity, a passion for travel, strategic big-picture thinking, and the ability to take initiative and manage work effectively without a lot of supervision. As Account Manager, Media Relations, you will be responsible for 5+ accounts, in addition to co-managing our Account Coordinator. Candidates must be personable, adaptable, very self-motivated and genuinely excited to deliver excellent results for our diverse client roster.
9:00 to 5:00 pm, 5 days a week. Domestic and international travel required for a percentage of time, varying year to year, with no more than 40% of working days spent on the road (FAM trips, meetings, media events & conferences).
Bannikin’s downtown Toronto headquarters, located at Queen and Spadina.
Estimated February 1, 2017 or sooner.
Commensurate with experience.
WHAT THE ROLE ENTAILS
- Develop and execute ongoing media relations plans from conception through implementation to reporting, providing both management and hands-on involvement in all phases.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with media, from newspaper travel editors to online influencers, as well as provide timely responses to media requests and reporting to promote positive exposure surrounding our clients’ travel experiences, events and initiatives.
- Develop and maintain a story bank of ideas for potential pitches and press releases
- Research and maintain media contact lists
- Write and edit press releases, pitches, advertorials, social media content, and more
- Responsible for distribution of press releases.
- Monitor media for coverage of clients and competitors
- Recommend and prepare award applications on behalf of clients
- Recommend and apply for speaking opportunities and media interviews on behalf of clients
- Provide strategic consulting to ensure consistency of key messaging and brand positioning
- Exercise independent judgment when prioritizing media opportunities and pitching stories to media contacts.
- Contribute strategic insight into the corporate social media and marketing plans as it relates to communications and media relations initiatives.
- Maintain keen understanding of travel industry trends
- Plan, organize and host international press trips (individual and group) in partnership with client
- Plan, organize and host external media events and deskside opportunities
- Attend select media marketplaces and industry events on behalf of clients
- Onboarding new clients – lead discovery sessions, establish action plans, set milestones and deliverables, and establish brand positioning in target markets
- Create succinct bi-weekly and monthly reports for all clients.
- Maintain regular communications with client
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Bachelor’s degree or college education in Communications, Public Relations or Marketing preferred
- 2+ years of experience in communications, media, public relations or a related field required
- 2+ years of experience in developing stories and understanding travel media
- Proven experience in pitching media stories, both nationally and internationally
- Established relationships with media preferred
- Exceptional editing, communication and writing skills required
- Proven leadership abilities
- Experience managing social media platforms for business preferred
- Bannikin is a small company, so we need someone with an ‘all-hands-on-deck’ attitude
- Genuine drive to foster solid client relationships and enthusiasm for forging new relationships
- Motivated self-starter; takes initiative to start projects
- Ability to manage several projects at once and prioritize work in a changing environment, as well as ability to manage time extremely well – important when responsible for several clients with competing priorities and deadlines
- Fast learner
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
HOW TO APPLY
Please send CVs and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 6, 2017. Don’t forget to tell us how you have demonstrated success to generate results in past work environments!